This creamy tamarind chicken curry tastes like a tangy and spicy Indian tomato soup. In other words, it’s delicious. The best part is that you can make it in a crock pot. It’s so nice to be able to set it in the morning and then come home to an amazing aroma.
What I love about this curry is that it’s so different. Yes, I know it looks a lot like my paleo butter chicken but looks can be deceiving. The tamarind gives this dish a slightly sour taste while the tomato sauce adds a touch of sweetness. I added 2 teaspoons of concentrated tamarind paste along with the rest of the ingredients into the crockpot. You can find this paste at any Indian store or on amazon. Let all the ingredients simmer for a few hours and then one hour before serving, mix in a can of coconut milk. This will ensure that your dish is nice and creamy when it’s done. If you don’t want to add coconut milk, just decrease the amount of tamarind paste to one teaspoon and eat it as a tamarind tomato curry instead. Either way, it’s going to be good. If you find that the tamarind is too sour for your liking just add some honey to taste.
Personally, this recipe has just the right amount of tanginess: not too sweet, not too sour – perfectly savory. Yum..
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 2 thai bird chilies, minced
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind Paste
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder (if using cayenne, use a little less)
- ½ teaspoon Fennel Powder
- 1 can full fat Coconut Milk
- Put all ingredients in crock pot - except for the coconut milk.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is done - then add coconut milk and cook on low for another hour.