These date and nut cookies look fancy, don’t they? You won’t believe how easy they are to make. Once you bite into the chewy nutty cookie and get a taste of the gooey pistachio center, – you’ll be hooked. These sweet and addictive cookies taste like a cardamom and caramel flavored fudge. The center kind of reminds me of baklava. It’s good.
This no-bake dessert is an Indian one – called “khajoor ki mithai” which translates to “a sweet made of dates” or well, something pretty close to that. Typically, khajoor ki mithai looks more like fudge than it does a cookie – but this is how my mom makes the dessert. The two of us actually made this cookie together. I love spending time with her in the kitchen – she’s so creative (she invented the 3-ingredient naan recipe).
If you can make my 2-ingredient caramels, then you can definitely make this recipe. You start out by chopping dates and sauteing them in ghee along with some cardamom powder. After several minutes the dates will break down and begin to melt into each other. That’s when you add the almond slices and cashews.
Let the date mixture cool to touch. While it is still warm and pliable, roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper. You’ll have to spend a few minutes working it into a rectangular shape. You can cut pieces off the edges and then add them to the bottom – keep rolling until smooth.
Add the pistachio mixture and then roll the dates like you’d roll sushi. It should look like a log. Roll the log in shredded coconut, cover it in plastic wrap and let it firm up in the fridge. After an hour or so, cut the log into slices.
These cookies taste best when eaten at room temp. I think you’re going to love them.
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 tbs Organic Raw Honey
- 1lb Medjool Dates, remove pits (came out to about 36 dates for us), chopped
- 2 tbs Grassfed Organic Ghee
- Seeds from 4 Cardamom Pods, ground into powder
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup cashews, chopped
- Finely Shredded Dehydrated Coconut
- Chop pistachios and add them to a bowl along with honey - mix well and set aside.
- Chop dates and add them to a saucepan over medium heat along with ghee and cardamom. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring the dates frequently so they do not burn.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until the mixture forms a paste (about 5 more minutes).
- Add almond slices and cashews and combine well. Let the mixture cool to touch.
- Once you can handle the mixture, roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Place pistachio mixture in a row on top of the date sheet - and then roll into a log (like you would sushi).
- Roll the log in coconut flakes, cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until firm (an hour or so).
- Once firm, cut into slices.
- Serve at room temp.