Gulab jamun is a sweet dumpling soaked in a rose and cardamom flavored sugar syrup. This dessert is served during weddings, holidays and other celebrations.
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted ghee
- 1 egg
- Preheat a donut hole maker. If using a donut pan, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well. Pour in the coconut milk, maple syrup, and ghee, mix well. Then, add the egg, and mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into a ziplock bag, seal the top, and snip one of the bottom corners. Pipe the batter into the mold, filling it all the way.
- Cook until the donut machine indicator light goes off. For the oven, bake for 15 minutes. Remove the donuts and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the Syrup: Add the maple syrup, coconut sugar, water, lemon juice, rosewater, cardamom and saffron (if using) to a saucepan over low-medium heat and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and then add the donuts to the saucepan and allow them to soak in the syrup for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and serve warm.