This popular Punjabi curry is a simple and comforting dish. I almost always have potatoes in my pantry and a bag of frozen peas in the freezer and so even when the fridge is empty, I can still create this delicious curry. Potatoes and peas are humble ingredients, but when you serve them in a fragrant spiced tomato sauce, they really shine.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cup (frozen or fresh/thawed) onion masala
- 1 serrano, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes (approx. 1 pound), chopped (in 1-1 ½ inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups water
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the cumin seeds and serrano pepper and once the cumin seeds turn brown, add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure. If you prefer a thicker consistency, mash a bit of the potato into the curry.
- This recipe is part of my onion masala series – be sure to check it out!