- 2 tablespoons ghee or grassfed butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 4 cups bone broth
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Melt ghee or butter in a pot over medium heat, and add onions. Cook for 15 minutes or until the onions begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic and herbs and saute for a minute. Then add the red wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add the bone broth and increase the heat to high. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture reduces by half.
- Place the remaining sauce into a blender. Puree until smooth.
If you want to add drippings, you can do that by just reheating the gravy and stirring in the drippings.