- 12 large cabbage leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
For the Stuffing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Boil 3 cups of water in a steamer pot over medium heat. Steam the cabbage leaves for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft, and set them aside.
- In a large saute pan, melt the fat over medium heat. Add the stew meat to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, cinnamon sticks, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook another 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Cover the mixture with the beef broth and bring to a boil with the lid on. Remove the lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the stew meat is cooking, mix the stuffing ingredients together in a large bowl. Place 1/4 cup of the stuffing mixture in the middle of a steamed cabbage leaf. Roll the leaf halfway, then tuck in the sides and finish rolling. Place the rolled leaf aside on a plate, seam side down. Repeat until all of the stuffing is used up.
- Using tongs, carefully add the stuffed cabbage leaves to the saute pan. Cover and simmer the cabbage rolls for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and top the dish with fresh cilantro to serve.