- 5 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped fine
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1–2 serrano pepper, minced (depends on how spicy you like your food)
- ¼ cup grated coconut (I use the brand “Daily Delight” – frozen grated unsweetened coconut – can be found in your local Indian grocery store)
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 15 Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder (optional)
- Shred cabbage in food processor or chop by hand.
- In a bowl, combine cabbage, onion, garlic, serrano pepper and coconut.
- Heat coconut oil in a pot (I use a “Dutch Oven“) on medium heat and add mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves, turmeric, salt and kashmiri chili powder (you may want to shield yourself for this part…).
- Let spices bloom for a minute, then add the cabbage mixture and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbs water to the pan and cover, cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir fry for another 5 minutes.
The curry leaves impart their flavor in the coconut oil – I usually remove them before eating this stir-fry. Sometimes I’ll cut the leaves into little ribbons before adding them to the oil – makes it easier to eat with the stir-fry.