- 3 thick carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lard (or fat of choice)
- 1 pound cubed chicken, beef or pork or whole medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 Thai bird chile pepper or jalapeno pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- Using a mandoline or julienne peeler, slice the carrots lengthwise into long, wide “noodles.” Set aside.
- Melt the large in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Saute the meat or shrimp, onion wedges, and garlic in the lard, stirring frequently, until the meat is browned and cooked through or the shrimp turns pink. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the carrot noodles and broccoli to the skillet and cook until softened, stirring frequently. After about 8 minutes, when the carrots are soft enough to pierce, add the Thai bird chile pepper (if using), fish sauce, coconut aminos, and molasses. Stir to combine.
- Return the meat or shrimp, onion, and garlic to the skillet and stir to combine. When everything is coated in the sauce, stir in the Thai basil leaves. As soon as the leaves have wilted, remove from the heat and serve.