- 1 1/2 pound skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 1 inch knob ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup water
- Cilantro, chopped
- Heat ghee in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and a bay leaf.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add the onions an cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir for a minute then add the tomatoes, cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and chicken and mix well. Then add one cup of water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Remove cover and cook for 5 more minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Garnish with cilantro.
If the dish isn’t red or orange enough to your liking, just add paprika!