Homemade Condensed Coconut Milk:
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can of coconut cream (or the cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- Maple Syrup, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix the dry cake ingredients together in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour into an 8×8 greased, parchment-lined dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the condensed coconut milk by bringing the coconut milk to a boil. Then, add the maple syrup and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Keep a close eye on this so it doesn’t boil over!
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool on a wire rack, then poke the top of the cake with a fork or wooden skewer. Make a lot of holes!
- Slowly pour the condensed coconut mixture over the cake (take your time with this) so that the milk soaks into the holes in the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Spread coconut whipped cream on top if desired.
Whipped coconut cream:
- Place a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. This will cause the cream to separate from the milk.
- Place the cream and maple syrup into a bowl and whip with a hand-mixer until fluffy. If you have a stand mixer, you can also use that to whip the cream until fluffy.
- Place the whipped cream in the fridge until you’re ready to frost the cake.
- Bake the coconut flakes at 350F for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted.