- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, olive oil or another fat
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 (8 oz) package baby bella mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, roughly chopped (remove rib if you don’t like spicy food)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, (adjust to taste or omit)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk, canned and full fat (mix well after opening)
- Add oil to a dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat, then add onions, mushrooms and a pinch of salt.
- Saute for 10-12 minutes or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft.
- Add garlic and serrano pepper and cook for minute, then add the spices. After another minute or so, add wine to deglaze the pot.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add chicken broth and coconut milk.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes or until it thickens to your liking.
- Blend the creamy mixture in a blender or with an immersion blender.
If you are adding this to a casserole, I’d leave the serrano rib in for some heat (unless you really hate spicy food).
If you’re eating this as soup and don’t like spicy food, you can remove the rib/serrano completely.