- 1 large spaghetti squash, cooked
- 3 cups cooked chicken, white and dark meat (I used a whole chicken cut into pieces, see below for details)
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can organic pumpkin (pumpkin should be the only ingredient)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can organic coconut milk, full fat
- 2 eggs, whisked
- In a food processor, add onion, garlic, serrano pepper and blend well.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat and then add the pureed onions, garlic and serrano pepper to the pan along with a pinch of salt. Saute for 7-10 minutes.
- Add the spices and after a minute, add the tomato paste, pumpkin puree and bell pepper. Mix well.
- Add coconut milk. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes or until the pumpkin puree absorbs the milk.
- Pour the creamy pumpkin sauce into a large bowl, along with the cooked spaghetti squash and cooked chicken. Mix well.
- Add the whisked egg to the bowl, mix well, then pour everything into a casserole dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.
To prepare squash using the oven method:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and add a little oil, salt and pepper to cut sides.
- Place squash cut side down in a baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until you can easily pierce the skin with a knife (cooking time depends on size of squash).
To make Chicken:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully add chicken pieces and any seasonings you’d like to the boiling water.
- After about 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Once cool, remove chicken from bones.
- Save the broth – it’s liquid gold! (I normally strain before using)
I used an organic “griller” pack of chicken which is basically a whole chicken cut into pieces.