- 12 oz frozen baby okra (bhindi), thawed (if you can find fresh young okra, use that!)
- 3 tablespoons fat of choice (avocado oil, ghee, or schmaltz work well)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Serrano pepper (or 1-2 thai bird chilies), minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ inch ginger, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- Rinse okra, and slice into rounds. Spread them out onto a paper towel to dry while you prep the remaining ingredients. The okra must be completely dry.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of fat in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Next, add the cumin seeds and once they begin to brown or splutter, add the onions and serrano pepper.
- Saute for 10 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown. Then add the garlic, ginger and spices mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of fat and the okra. Stir-fry for 10-12 minutes or until the okra is dry and crispy.