- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1-inch knob ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 Thai bird chili or Seranno pepper
- 7 large Roma Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- optional garnish: cilantro or coconut cream
- Dry roast cumin seeds on a cast iron skillet until dark brown and fragrant.
- Add oil and browned cumin seeds to saucepan on medium heat.
- Once the cumin starts to splutter, add the onion and stir occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and Thai bird chili and stir for a minute. Then, add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool, put it in a blender.
- Serve at room temperature or reheat and serve.