- 1 leftover ham bone with meat
- 10 cups water, enough to cover the ham bone
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 Serrano pepper, sliced but still intact
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery, diced
- 2 turnips, diced
- ½ head napa or savoy cabbage, cut into strips
- 1 small handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the ham bone, water, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves and serrano pepper to the slow cooker. Set on high for 5 hours.
- Remove the bone from the pot and take the meat off of it. Add the meat and bone back to the pot and cook for another 2 hours on high.
- Next, add oil to a saute pan over medium heat, then add the onion, leeks and garlic cloves. Saute for 7-8 minutes, or until the onions have started to caramelize.
- Add this to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook for 3 hours on high, or until the vegetables are tender.