Pecan Pie Filling:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar or coconut sugar (if paleo)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ to 1 cup whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 1 cup chopped pecans and chocolate chips into pie crust and spread them out.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add the brown sugar and mix until well combined.
- Remove from heat, then add the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the eggs in a large separate bowl. Add the hot mixture to the eggs very slowly to temper the eggs. Once combined, pour this mixture into the pie crust over the pecans and chocolate chips. Top the pie with whole pecans.
- Place the pie in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is set. Keep an eye on the pie to make sure the crust does not burn!
- Allow the pie to cool completely, then cover the pie until time to serve.
- I like using a combination of roasted and salted pecans and raw pecans but you can use whatever you prefer! I use roasted inside the pie and raw on top to decorate.