- 1 cup rum, divided
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the cake:
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup maple syrup
For the glaze:
To make the Rum Caramel:
- In a saucepan over low heat, add ¼ cup of rum and the coconut sugar. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the sauce begins to bubble.
- Add the remaining ¾ cup of rum, butter and vanilla extract to the pan. Raise the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool on the stove.
To make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325º F.
- Grease bundt pan well and set aside (I used a 10 inch bundt pan).
- In a stand mixer, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt and mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup and the completely cooled caramel sauce to the stand mixer and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into the well greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 325º F for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool undisturbed for 45 minutes to 1 hour in the bundt pan on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, invert the cake onto a plate or cake stand.
- Frost the cake with the rum glaze (directions below).
To make the glaze:
- If the coconut butter is hard, you may need to submerge the jar in hot water first. Stir thoroughly before using.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan on low heat and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the thick glaze on top of the cooled bundt cake.
For extra rum-flavor, while the cake cools in the pan, poke the bottom several times with a fork and pour a tablespoon or two of rum on top. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid.