Fresh clams are the highlight of this incredibly rich curry. The clams are tender, briny, slightly chewy and coated in flavorful Indian spices.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 large shallots or 4 small ones, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder (or Indian red chili/cayenne if you like it spicy!)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup coconut milk, canned and full-fat
- 2 pounds small clams (littlenecks), cleaned
- 1 lime wedge, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- To clean clams, soak in cold water for 20 minutes with a big pinch of salt. Lift each clam out of the bowl, and individually rinse with water.
- Melt ghee in a dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat, then add shallots, garlic and ginger and sauté for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir, then add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil. Add clams, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until clams are opened, 6 to 8 minutes (discard any unopened clams).
- Serve clams in bowls with cooking liquid and squeeze lime wedge overtop. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.