- 2 whole chickens (approx 2.5 pounds each)
- 1 onion, peeled & halved
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 spring onions
- small bunch cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
To make Dipping Sauce:
To Make Chicken:
- Wash and pat dry the 2 whole chickens and place them in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with enough water to just cover the chicken. Add the onion, ginger and salt and bring to a boil. Once the water starts boiling, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take it off the heat and allow it to rest for another 30 minutes
- Remove the chickens and chop with bone in or debone (I prefer bone in, you need a meat cleaver to do this, I start with kitchen scissors and cut the chicken in half lengthways, then slice off the drumstick & wing, then thigh, then slice off the breast and chop in smaller pieces and finally chop the rest of the chicken in pieces).
- Assemble on 2 plates and drizzle 1 tablespoon of sesame oil over each plate of chicken. Sprinkle the spring onions, cilantro and freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
To Make Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, water, coconut sugar & vinegar, stir to dissolve sugar
- Add the lime juice, and adjust if necessary (more water, sugar or vinegar to get the right balance of sweet, sour & salt to your taste).
- Add the ginger and chilli if using.