For the past month or so, my kitchen has been a complete disaster. I’m talking in shambles. That’s because we’re in the middle of a kitchen remodel. You might remember me mentioning that we moved to Pittsburgh this summer. Well, we found this sort of charming 100+ year old house right in the city with um, plenty of “character.” The location was perfect but I told the husband that the only way I’d agree to the house was if he promised me a kitchen remodel. I promise I’m not a kitchen diva – but considering that the blog is now my full-time job, I need a decent
kitchen work space to work in. I mean, the kitchen wasn’t terrible (I’ll show you a before/after once it’s done), but there was no island – and with the amount of recipe development that I do, I needed an island and some counter space. Plus, I’ll hopefully be able to create more YouTube videos for you guys once it’s done – so subscribe to my channel!
For the past several weeks I’ve been “cooking” out of my dining room. These are the main appliances I’ve had access to: my fridge, a small toaster/convection oven and our outdoor grill. Of course it’s cold outside, so grilling outdoors hasn’t been much fun. Sure, I could have used my crockpot or my beloved instant pot but I didn’t because the first floor bathroom sink is too small for me to wash my giant crockpot in – those two appliances are of course always an option if you have a bigger sink available. If you have a microwave, that’ll obviously help you a lot too because you can prepare by making food in advance.
I thought I’d share what I’ve been eating during our remodel to help others also going through the process. Hopefully it’ll give you some ideas on how to eat somewhat healthy while your kitchen is a hot mess. We’ve been trying to eat clean as much as we can but we’ve also been eating out a lot more than I’d like (plenty of sushi, some Thai and Chipotle). My husband, Roby, who was originally really excited to eat out started getting sick of take-out by week 3 (which was surprising). I’m hoping we’ll have our kitchen back this week… if not though, please share ideas! What did you eat during your remodel?
Here are a few healthy meal ideas:
*I moved my Rivo espresso/latte maker into the dining room so that I can enjoy a latte in the mornings.
- Fresh fruit
- Peeled Hardboiled Eggs (Trader Joes)
- Apples or Bananas with Almond or Cashew Butter
- Berries with Grassfed Yogurt
- Summer Cereal + Cashew Milk (or yogurt)
- Smoothie made in my nutribullet (easier to wash than my blendtec)
*I ate more packaged gluten-free cookies and potato chips cooked in avocado oil than I’d like to admit.
- Turkey & Goat Cheese Roll Ups: Organic Applegate Lunch Meat (Whole Foods) + Goat Cheese Slices (Trader Joes)
- Curried Cashews from my eBook (made in a small toaster oven)
- Handful of Nuts
- Plantain Chips
- Pre-made Salads from Trader Joe’s
- Turkey & Goat Cheese Roll Ups : Organic Applegate Lunch Meat (Whole Foods) + Goat Cheese Slices (Trader Joes)
- Dr. Praeger’s gluten-free Spinach Patties (Costco or Whole Foods) made in my toaster oven
- Roasted veggies made in my toaster oven
- Whole Foods Lunch or Soup bar
*We’ve been eating out A LOT. Thankfully we have some good gluten-free/paleo options in Pittsburgh (I’ll keep updating this list).
- Grilled Food: burgers, chicken thighs, shrimp, steak, veggies (make foil packets, drizzle avocado oil and spices on top!)
- Frozen Udis (sigh, kind of embarrassed to admit it. I like their gluten-free lasagna with meat sauce… Can I still be a food blogger?)
- Using a crockpot? Here are some slow cooker recipes.