- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, minced (I used a small one to make a mild curry. Add more if you like it spicy)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (~4 garlic cloves)
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped (optional)
- 1 can coconut milk, canned and full fat (add more coconut milk or water if you like a thinner curry)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and add mustard seeds. Once seeds start to pop, add onions, serrano pepper and curry leaves.
- Once onions begin to brown, add garlic and ginger.
- Add the spices and let them bloom – then add ground beef.
- Cook the beef until it’s mostly browned, then add the carrots, potato and ¼ cup of water.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and simmer until the potatoes are tender (approx. 15 minutes).
- Adjust salt and pepper and add water if you prefer a thinner curry.