This green mango cooler is so refreshing! It’s the drink you’re going to want to make during a heat wave. Think of it as the Indian version of lemonade, only instead of lemons, this recipe calls for another sour fruit: unripe green mangoes.
If you are making this for kids then leave out the spices listed and add them to individual glasses to taste!
If using a stovetop:
Boil the green mangoes in hot water for 30 minutes or until tender then proceed to step 4 below.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Using a knife, make several small slits in the mangoes.
- Add 2 cups water into the steel inner pot, then place a steamer basket or the wire rack that came with the pressure cooker into the pot. Place the green mangoes on top of the rack.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Allow the mangoes to cool down, then remove the peel.
- Place the pulp into a blender along with the 4 cups of water, sugar, black salt, roasted cumin powder and salt and blend until smooth. Taste the drink and add more spices according to taste.
- Pour this drink into glasses filled with ice. Sprinkle a little roasted cumin powder on top if desired and garnish with a fresh sprig of mint.
- You may need to adjust the cook time depending on the size of the mangoes.
- If you are making this for kids or for people who aren’t used to the spices listed then I suggest making the drink without the spices and adding them to individual glasses to taste. This way those who don’t like the taste of the spices can still enjoy the drink.
- To make roasted cumin powder: heat a skillet over low heat and dry roast cumin seeds (I usually do 1 cup) for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the color of the cumin changes to a dark brown. Turn off the heat and allow the cumin seeds to cool down. Place the cumin into a spice grinder and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight jar and use within 6-8 months for the most flavor.