- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or fat of choice
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef broth or chicken stock
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon potato starch or thickener of choice (optional)
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, add the oil and beef cubes to the pot. Sear the meat on all sides.
- Once the meat has browned , add the onion, garlic, serrano pepper, bay leaf and spices. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce.
- Secure the lid, close the valve and cook for 35 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Optional step: to thicken the sauce, either press sauté to reduce the liquid or ladle out some liquid into a bowl and combine it with thickener of choice. Mix well and then add the thick slurry back into the pot, and stir-well.
- Serve over cauli-rice, or in a tortilla!
- To make in a slow cooker: Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.