- 1 (3 pound) pork shoulder roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 75 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Shred the pork using two forks.
- Place the meat onto a foil-lined baking sheet, ladling some of the sauce on top. Broil the meat for 10 minutes, stirring the pork at the halfway mark. The edges of the pork start to brown and crisp up.
- Spoon more sauce onto the pork prior to serving.
- Store the carnitas in their sauce to maintain flavor and moisture. Broil the meat prior to serving.
- Serve with: avocado, salsa, limes, cilantro, red onion and tortillas.
- If you would like to reduce the cook time, then cut the pork shoulder into smaller pieces.