- 1 cup chana dal, soaked 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 serrano pepper, slit in half but still intact
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup onion masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne or red chili powder, to taste
- Cilantro, garnish
- Soak the dal for 1-2 hours, drain and rinse.
- Press the sauté button, add oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add cumin seeds and serrano pepper to the pot. Once the cumin seeds begin to brown, add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure or wait 15 minutes, then release pressure.
- Adjust salt to taste and add more liquid if you’d like a thinner dal.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!