- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil or ghee
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 cup water
- Cilantro, garnish
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the sauté button. Add the oil/ghee to the pot. When it melts, add the whole spices and stir. Once they begin to sizzle add the onions. Stir-fry for 7-8 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chicken and spices. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until most of the outside of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the rice and water to the pot and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Discard the whole spices if desired, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
- I love this brand of basmati rice – the rice grains are always perfectly cooked! If you are using another brand you may need to reduce the cook time – play around with the times depending on how you prefer your rice.