- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green chili, minced
- 2 dried red chilies
- ⅛ teaspoon hing
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- Add the rinsed dal, water, onion masala, and spices to the instant pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
Make the tadka on the stovetop:
- Add ghee to a pan over medium heat and once it melts, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When the cumin seeds brown, add the onion and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown, then add the green chili, dried red chilies, hing, stir, then add the Kashmiri red chili and immediately remove from heat.
- Pour the (red) tadka on top of the dal.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.