- 3 pounds russet potatoes (or a combination of russet and yukon gold), peeled or unpeeled
- 6-8 cloves garlic (I like 8)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ½ – 1 cup milk, adjust to consistency preference
- ⅔ cup – 1 cup grated parmesan, adjust to taste
- 2 – 4 tablespoons heavy cream, to consistency preference
*see notes for other additional ingredient ideas
- Add the potatoes, garlic, water and salt to the pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 16 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure.
- Add the butter, mash, then slowly add milk and heavy cream if using while mashing the potatoes.
- Optional: add the parmesan or any other ingredients if desired.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper and chives. Add more butter if desired.
- A few ideas: You can mix in sour cream or cream cheese if you prefer a bit of tang. Or you can sprinkle in bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions for loaded mashed potatoes!