- 1 cup dried kidney beans,* soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon oil or fat of choice
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (remove seeds and rib for a less spicy chili), adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cayenne, adjust to taste — optional
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, sliced jalapeños
- Soak the kidney beans in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside for now.
- Press the saute button and add the oil to the pot. Give it a minute to heat up, then add the ground meat, diced onion, jalapeno and garlic to the pot. Saute until the meat is browned.
- Add the spices, stir, then add the kidney beans and diced tomatoes. Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and set the time for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Allow pressure to naturally release.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese and green onion if desired.
If you would rather use canned kidney beans then you can stir in 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans at the very end prior to serving.