This recipe is for a bone-in spiral cut pre-cooked ham. When you buy a spiral ham at the grocery store, it’s almost always already fully cooked which means most of the time you just need to heat it through. The ham’s packaging comes with suggestions about how long to cook or heat the ham and those suggestions always recommend using an oven. I’m here to tell you that I don’t think I’ll ever use an oven to warm a bone-in spiral ham ever again! Enjoy!
- ¼ cup water
- 1 bone-in spiral cut 6.5 pound ham*
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
Optional Ingredients for Glaze:
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Big pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pour ¼ cup water into the steel basin of the Instant Pot.
- Place the ham in the pot with the sliced side facing down. If the ham is too large, you may need to cut a portion of it off in order for it all to fit.
- Mix the sugar and honey along with the optional glaze ingredients if using together in a bowl. Pour this glaze on top of the ham.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure (if the valve doesn’t drop after 10 minutes, then open the valve to release any remaining pressure).
- Drain the liquid from the pot into a bowl and set aside.* Allow the ham to rest for at least 10 minutes, then remove the ham to a platter.
- Press sauté and add the liquid back to the pot. Cook until the liquid has reduced to your liking. Pour this sweet sauce on top of the ham slices when serving.
- In step 6, the reason you want to drain the liquid is because it will make it much easier to tip the ham out – that way you don’t need to burn your fingers by trying to lift it out with a fork/tongs/fingers.
- A 6.5 pound ham should fit in a 6 quart pot but if yours is slightly larger then you may need to cut the ham to make it fit, place both pieces into the pot at the same time, if possible.
- If you have leftover ham, place it in a container and pour the sweet sauce overtop to keep it moist and flavorful.