This popular Punjabi dish, also known as lobia masala, is made with buttery black eyed peas. This is a recipe that’s almost always served on New Year’s Day in our house because it’s thought to bring good luck. Don’t wait until then to make this though!
- 1 cup dried black eyed peas, soaked for 1–2 hours
- 2 tablespoons oil of choice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon cayenne, adjust to taste
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups water
- Cilantro leaves, garnish
- Soak the dried black eyed peas in cold water for 1-2 hours. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the sauté button, and add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the cumin seeds and once they begin to turn brown, add the onion and bay leaf. Stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onions begin to turn brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices, stir, then add the diced tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the tomatoes break down.
- Add the drained black eyed peas to the pot along with the 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.