This Keralite coconut stew is made with meat, potatoes and carrots. I make this often because I almost always have ground meat in my fridge, making this an easy dish to throw together at the last minute. The coconut milk mellows out the flavor, making this a mild curry.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Serrano pepper or green chili, minced
- 20 curry leaves
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons meat masala
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound ground beef or ground meat of choice
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- Press the sauté button, add the coconut oil. Once it melts, add the mustard seeds and when they begin to pop, add the onion, Serrano pepper and curry leaves. Stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the spices, stir, then add the ground meat and cook until it is mostly browned.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and ¼ cup water.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in the coconut milk.