- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or see directions on how to quick soak)*
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ – 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, adjust to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained, optional
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (i like using red and green)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Handful of chopped scallions
- Slurry made by mixing 1 teaspoon arrowroot in 1 tablespoon water
- Soak chickpeas in cold water overnight. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the ones listed under “add later” to the Instant Pot and mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 35 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Press the saute button, then add all of the ingredients listed under “add later” and the optional slurry if you prefer a thicker sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the bell peppers are slightly tender.
- Stir in the sesame seed oil then sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions and serve.
Forget to soak chickpeas? You can do a quick soak by covering dried chickpeas with an inch of water and pressure cooking them for 10 minutes with a natural release. Then dump out the water, rinse the chickpeas well and follow the recipe directions from there.
You can add cayenne or extra red pepper flakes to make this spicier.