- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup whole black urad dal, soaked in cold water overnight
- ¼ cup chana dal, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup (frozen or thawed) onion masala
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- optional garnish: a light drizzle of heavy cream and cilantro leaves
- Press the sauté button, add 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pot and once that melts add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds turn brown, add the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 30 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee and garnish with a drizzle of heavy cream and cilantro if desired. The dal will continue to thicken as it cools.
- This recipe is part of my onion masala series – be sure to check it out!
- If you have frozen cubes of onion masala, just toss those in – no need to thaw them first.
- This dal will thicken as it cools. When you warm up leftovers, you may need to add water or stock to thin it out on the stovetop.