This mildly flavored rice dish, also known as matar pulao, is so easy to make. The caramelized onions, aromatic spices and the sweetness from the peas make this bowl of rice taste a little extra special.
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 15-30 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Press the sauté button, add the oil and allow it to heat up for a minute. Add the cumin seeds and once they begin to brown, add the cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Give everything a quick stir, then add the diced onion.
- Stir-fry for 6-7 minutes, or until the onion begins to brown. Then add the rice, peas, water and salt. Mix well.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 6 minutes at high pressure.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Open the valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- This is my favorite brand of basmati rice – highly recommend it.