- 1 cup moong dal
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup ghee
- ¾ cup sugar, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Crushed nuts (pistachios, almonds or cashews), garnish
- Press sauté and add the (dry) moong dal to the pot. Dry roast (stir) the dal for 10 minutes until you see it darken a bit. It will change from pale yellow to slightly golden.
- Add water and stir, then secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure and immediately add ghee, sugar, cardamom to the pot and mix well. Don’t panic when you see the dal, it will look a bit dry but will quickly absorb the ghee.
- Once the dal absorbs the ghee, press the sauté button and stir continuously for 10 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot regularly. This will be a bit of an arm workout.
- Remove the steel liner from the instant pot (so the halwa doesn’t burn) and immediately scoop the halwa out into a serving bowl. When you pour it out, you’ll notice some ghee on the sides of the serving bowl – that means it separated a bit from the halwa and is perfect!
- Garnish with crushed nuts and serve warm.