Use this shredded chicken in all sorts of applications: sandwiches, stews, salads!
- 4 pounds chicken breast*
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 20 minutes at high pressure.
- Quick release pressure.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Store the chicken in an air-tight container with the liquid to help keep the meat moist.
- If you are only using 2 pounds of chicken, then halve the ingredients and cook for 15 minutes at high pressure and quick pressure release.
- I have been asked many times if 20 minutes is too much for 4 pounds of chicken. I realize there are recipes out there that call for a 5-6 min cook time – this has never worked for me when making this quantity of chicken. You can always reduce the time if you want and if it’s not done, add a few more minutes to the cook time. Ultimately the chicken should reach a temperature of 165F.
- If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is done.
- I usually divide the chicken into small air-tight storage containers and keep them in the freezer for longer term storage.