You can make this sweet potato halwa in one pot! Dry roast the besan until toasty, cook the sweet potatoes and stir in ghee and sugar until it all magically transforms into an amazing halwa. Enjoy!
- Press the sauté button and add the besan to the instant pot. Dry roast the besan by stirring for 10 minutes, or until it smells a bit toasty and the color darkens by a shade or two. Remove the besan from the pot and set it aside in a bowl for now.
- Add the sweet potatoes and water to the pot. Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and cook for 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Open the valve to quick release pressure.
- Add the ghee, stir, then add the roasted besan, sugar, raisins and ground cardamom. Stir this continuously for 10 minutes – it’ll be a bit of an arm workout. A fun work out though!
- Garnish with nuts and serve warm.
- Besan is flour made from chana dal – this is the brand I like. If you can’t find besan, you can also use American chickpea flour (Bob’s Red Mill).
- I prefer this halwa with besan but you can also use 1 cup of blanched almond flour instead. I would suggest toasting the almond flour for 2-3 minutes in step 1.