- 1 tablespoon Brown Mustard Seeds, crushed
- 4–5 large carrots, peeled
- 1 large beet, peeled
- 6–7 cups filtered water (or enough to cover the vegetables)
- 1 tablespoon Fine Sea Salt
- Crush the mustard seeds in a mortar pestle or a coffee grinder (it’s okay if they’re coarsely ground).
- Chop the carrots and beet into long pieces.
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass jar (I use a half-gallon mason jar) and cover with a lid or cheesecloth.
- Let the jar sit in a sunny spot for at least one week – stirring with a wooden spoon daily.
- Once the kanji develops a tangy flavor, that means the drink is fermented.
- Strain the drink, save the pickles to enjoy later.
- Put the drink in the refrigerator to chill.