- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup coconut milk, canned and full-fat
- Heat ghee in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, sweet potato and apple to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and tomato. Mix well, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, give the vegetables a stir, then pour in the broth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes then allow the mixture to cool. Pour half of the mixture into a blender, puree then put this back into the pot.
- Add the coconut milk, cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes, then serve.