Roasted cumin powder is highly aromatic and has a more intense flavor than regular (unroasted) cumin. It’s slightly nutty and adds a unique flavor to recipes. If a recipe calls for roasted cumin powder, do not substitute it with regular cumin as you won’t get the right flavor. You can sprinkle this directly onto a dish or onto yogurt for more flavor.
- 1 cup cumin seeds (or desired amount)
- Heat a skillet over low heat and dry roast the cumin seeds for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the color of the cumin changes to a dark brown.
- Turn off the heat and allow the cumin seeds to cool down.
- Place the cumin into a spice grinder and blend until smooth (you can also use a mortar pestle if you prefer).
- Store in an airtight jar and use within 6-8 months for the most flavor.