This stir-fry is my favorite way to eat sardines! The spices and coconut help mask the strong fishy flavor of sardines. Even if you’re not typically a fan of sardines, give this thoran a try. You can also use canned tuna in place of the sardines.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1–inch ginger, minced
- 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 (4.375 ounce) packages of wild sardines in extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon meat masala
- Melt coconut oil in a pan over medium heat, then add mustard seeds.
- Once they begin to splutter, add the onions, garlic, ginger, serrano pepper and curry leaves. Mix well and after 2 minutes, add the remaining ingredients.
- Increase the heat to medium–high heat and stir–fry for 5 minutes.
- You can find finely shredded coconut in the freezer aisle of any Indian grocery store.