- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Big pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ cup red wine
- 4 – 6 cups beef or chicken broth*, divided
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 gold potatoes, cubed
- Cilantro, optional
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the beef and sear on all sides for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions, garlic, serrano and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, stir for a minute, then add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
- Next, add 4 cups of broth, bring the pot to a boil then reduce to low heat. Cover and cook for 1 hour, checking the pot at the halfway mark. If the broth has reduced too much, add the remaining broth.
- Give the contents of the pot a stir, then add the carrots, celery and potatoes to the pot, cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
- To thicken the stew, mash some of the potatoes right in the pot and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired.