Chicken tikka masala is considered a British national dish. It’s made up of bite-sized chicken tikka served in a spiced tomato gravy. This slow cooker version is simple and delicious.
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2-inch ginger
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder (or paprika)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ ground cardamom
- Pinch of cayenne, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup coconut cream (or ¾ cup heavy cream, to taste)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Add all of the ingredients listed under “masala sauce” to a blender and blend well.
- Put the chicken and the freshly blended masala sauce into a slow cooker and cook 4-5 hours on low or until meat is cooked through.
- Stir the coconut cream (or heavy cream) into the slow cooker and mix well. Cook for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.