A unique and refreshing salad made by tossing crunchy cabbage, salty peanuts, hearty chickpeas, and creamy potatoes with a tangy and spicy dressing made with lemon juice and sambal.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can)
- ½ cup roasted and salted peanuts, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 –3 tablespoons sambal oelek, to taste
- Juice of 1–2 lemons, to taste (freshly squeezed!)
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- ⅛ – ¼ teaspoon cayenne or spicy red mirch, to taste
- 1 (6 – 8 ounce) Yukon gold potato, cooked and chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients together, except for the potatoes.
- Gently fold in the potatoes.
- Taste and adjust spices or sambal or lemon juice if needed.
- Here’s a post on how to cook potatoes in an instant pot.
- This recipe is part of my “chickpea series.” Cook a big batch of dried chickpeas (see this blog post), and try one of my recipes that calls for cooked chickpeas! You can also use canned chickpeas but dried beans taste better.
- feel free to adjust any of the ingredients to taste – you can’t go wrong. if you like potatoes, add more! same goes for everything else.