Tender, meaty mussels steamed in a sweet mango and white wine sauce! Serve this with a toasty baguette, a salad and a glass of wine.
- 2 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh mango puree
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Wash the mussels in a colander and debeard them (remove any brown strands). Discard any mussels that are cracked or remain open even after tapping them on a hard surface.
- Melt ghee in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and after 30 seconds, add the mango puree, white wine and spices.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, add the mussels and cover the pot for 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, give the mussels a stir, then cover for another 3 minutes, or until the mussel shells open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Place the mussels in a shallow serving bowl and ladle the liquid on top. Garnish with chopped cilantro.