- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons (avocado) oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1–2 green chilies, minced, to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne, optional, to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- Cilantro, garnish
- Add oil to a dutch oven (heavy-bottomed pot) over medium heat and once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds brown, add the green chilies, garlic, and ginger and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Add the spices (all at the same time), stir, add chickpeas, stir, then quickly add the lemon juice and turn off the heat (you don’t want the spices to burn). Continue mixing (with the heat off) until the chickpeas are heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lemon wedges.
This recipe is part of my “chickpea series.” Cook a big batch of dried chickpeas (see this blog post), and try one of my recipes that calls for cooked chickpeas! You can also use canned chickpeas but dried beans taste better.