- 4 cups milk of your choice (I used homemade almond milk)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 15 almonds, soaked and peeled
- 2 tablespoons cantaloupe kernels (remove outer shell) or buy Char Magaz (cantaloupe kernels)
- 2 tablespoons white poppy seeds
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 cardamom pods, remove seeds from pod
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon rose water
- crushed pistachios, garnish
- Soak almonds, cantaloupe kernels and poppy seeds overnight.
- Drain the nuts/seeds and peel off almond skins.
- Grind the peppercorns, cardamom and fennel seeds in a spice or coffee grinder, set aside for now.
- In a blender, add the peeled almonds, poppy seeds, cantaloupe kernels, coconut sugar, rosewater, spices and 1 cup almond milk to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add the rest of the almond milk and blend well.
- Strain the mixture in a double lined cheesecloth and refrigerate until nice and cold – garnish with crushed pistachios.
For the melon seeds – wash and dry cantaloupe seeds. After a day or two, break the seeds open with tweezers/fingers and use the kernels in this thandai recipe. If you don’t want to do this, you can buy them already shelled or just leave this out.