Just look at that herby, salty crusty crust! And underneath that crust is the most tender, juicy meat! This picture speaks to me. It says, “Hi friend. Please eat me for Christmas dinner.” 🎄🎅 And really, who wouldn’t want to eat a delicious herbed rib roast with red wine au jus for a holiday meal?
When it comes to the holidays, easy entertaining is everything. While I normally love cooking and spending time in the kitchen, I’d rather spend my holidays hanging out with family. If you’re like me, then you must must must make this herbed rib roast with red wine au jus this holiday season! The name of this dish is fancy, but making it couldn’t be simpler. You just smother the roast with a spice rub and bake it for two hours. That’s it. That means more time for you to relax and sip hot cocoa while watching Christmas movies with family.
After two hours, you get this: a perfect medium rare rib roast. Drizzle some au jus on top and you’ve got yourself a holiday worthy meal.
Once the roast is done cooking, you’ll want to let it rest for 20 minutes before cutting into it. That way the flavorful juices won’t run out when you slice into it. While you wait, you can quickly whip up an au jus, a thin gravy that’ll go great with your rib roast.
An au jus is really easy to make and it adds so much flavor to the recipe. I used the ALDI award winning Broken Clouds Pinot Noir. Pour yourself a glass of this wine and sip on it while you make the au jus. Let’s pretend we just clinked our wine glasses together! 🍷🍷Cheers! And, happy holidays!
- 1 bone-in ribeye roast (6–7 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
For Red Wine Au Jus:
- 2 ½ cups beef broth + drippings from pan
- 1 cup Broken Clouds Pinot Noir
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Herbed Bone-in Ribeye Roast
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the roast, fat side up, in a roasting pan on top of a wire rack.
- Pour the avocado oil on the roast.
- Next, combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme and rosemary in a bowl and mix well. Spread this mixture all over the entire roast.
- Bake at 350F for 2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 120-125 degrees F for medium rare.
- Transfer the meat to a platter, cover with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.
For Red Wine Au Jus:
- Add the beef broth, some pan drippings and the red wine to a pot.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
- Season to taste.
- Strain the sauce before serving.
Available while quantities last. Items may not be available in all stores. Prices and labels may vary by location. Follow ALDI on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and and visit www.aldi.us/holidays to keep up with new recipes and products.