Before I tell you about this thick, rich, creamy and delicous paleo egg nog, I first have to wish my darling husband, Roby, a very happy birthday! He turns 28 today We’re definitely going to celebrate with some boozy egg nog tonight!
This paleo egg nog is like drinking custard out of a cup; it’s so good. If you drink liquor, add a bit of rum for a bit of fun (see what I did there?).
I realize that people either love egg nog or they hate it but for you haters out there, I encourage you to give this particular recipe a chance. This eggnog tastes like a nutmeg and cinnamon flavored custard. So, if you like custard then I think you’ll like this dairy-free drink.
My recipe does not include raw egg – if you prefer raw, you can drink it that way, but I prefer to temper my eggs and cook my nog. I do this because I feel like I can keep my nog in my fridge for a longer period of time. You should do whatever you feel is right for you.
I use canned full-fat coconut milk for this recipe so please know that this drink will have some coconut flavor to it. You can try to mask it with a ton of freshly grated nutmeg but if you can’t stand coconut then this drink probably isn’t for you – try my homemade apple cider or my masala chai instead. I do think this drink is perfect for those of us who want to enjoy a cold glass of an awesome holiday drink.
In addition to the coconut milk, I add almond milk at the end to thin out my nog. This drink is so thick that you’ll probably need to do this; otherwise you’ll end up trying to inconspicuously lick your glass – and let me tell you, it won’t work – people will notice.
I love having this egg nog for dessert. If you’re serving this at a party, you can spike the nog with some rum (I suggest rum because it’s not grain-based; it does have a high sugar content. Make sure the rum you use is gluten-free). If you’re okay with grains, then bourbon or whiskey will go well with this too.
When it comes to nutmeg – use a microplane to freshly grate whole nutmeg. The flavor will be far richer when using freshly grated and since nutmeg is the star of this recipe, you don’t want to skimp on flavor
If you really like egg nog you can also try making this paleo egg nog cake. If you decide to make the cake then be sure to reserve a cup and a half of this thick nog before thinning it out with almond milk.
Now go make this delicious paleo egg nog and enjoy a glass of it tonight!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cans coconut milk, canned and full fat
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, freshly grated (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- almond milk, optional (to thin out the egg nog)
- rum, optional
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat yolks for a couple minutes. Gradually add coconut sugar - pausing in between to let the sugar dissolve. Set aside for now.
- In a saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a low simmer and then add the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Now it’s time to temper the eggs. Turn your stand mixer on low and then (very) slowly add a spoonful of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks. Repeat until you have about a cup of milk in your mixer.
- Once the eggs have been tempered, add them to the saucepan and allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the egg nog to cool down.
- Add rum if you want to, then put the egg nog in the fridge to chill (the longer you let it chill, the thicker it will become).
- When you take the egg nog out of the fridge, add almond milk to thin it out according to taste.
- Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon on top before serving.
I think this drink is best served cold :)